Monday, September 15, 2008

Lots to do, lots to see...

Hi everyone! Wow, I haven't written anything in a while. Well to update you all on my life...

We began teaching this week and I have a wide range of students. I have found that there are many different levels of English speakers. I have to plan a couple different lessons to cater to each classes needs. So it's a little more work than I expected with classes that meet once a week. But it will be fun. So I really like my schedule! I don't think I'll ever have another schedule like it... its very part time and I have one class three days a week and three classes two days a week.

We had a long weekend... it was the mid-autumn festivals. Basically you eat lots of moon cakes. I had one that was like a large, round fig newton. That is the best way I can describe them. However, I heard that there are strawberry, peach and fish... yes I said fish. I have never experienced them and I don't plan to! It was a nice weekend to relax and get some lesson planning done.

I went to get a full body massage at this place that others said was brutal. Its was really nice for me and another foreign teacher. They massaged all my tense muscles and then worked on my neck and adjusted my back just minor, nothing like a chiropractor). Very pleasant experience. Later I found this new store on campus where students can rent a display box and sell different items they have collected or made. A lot of it is jewelry. I found a cute ring and a pair of earrings.

It's been fun to get to know some of the other teachers here. I have had a lot of good conversations with others who have returned from previous years and we are all getting along great. Ahh, so I remember now why I began writing this blog.. to tell you all about KTV or karaoke. Some of you know that I did karaoke in the states in the past. Well this beats them all! We rented a room for 2 hours and sat on couches and sang the craziest songs. It was the highlight of the week. So hats off to Chinese Karaoke! It's roots are in fact from Asia. One of our local friends did a really good job singing some Michael Jackson songs... Oh and some of you remember the song "Thriller"... this was my first time seeing that video...very funny.

So all in all, there has been lots to do as far as lessons and other school events and there is so much more to see!

Thanks for reading
Amy

1 comment:

charissa maust said...

Sounds like fun- you crazy girl!!! Glad to hear you are doing well and are enjoying teaching!